Acne is a complex skin condition with several causes. More than 80% of teenagers and about 4% of adults suffer from acne.
In extreme cases, medication is necessary, but in general, the skin can be brought back into balance by restoring the bacterial flora on the skin. This can be done by taking a number of lifestyle measures and paying close attention to what products are applied to the skin.
There are 4 main factors that cause Acne:
1. High sebum production;
2. Accumulation of dead skin cells at the exit of the hair follicle;
3. Bacterial overgrowth; and
- Keep your skin’s acidity level right – your products should have a ph value of around 4.5 -5.5.
- Avoid dairy products.
- Use a good quality probiotic supplement and apply live probiotics to your skin to target the species that cause acne.
- Use mild exfoliants and not harsh scrubs. Thickened skin can cause pimples but exfoliation is not a long-term solution because the skin will respond with accelerated cell division at the basal cell level.
- Avoid drying cleansers and toners with alcohol – both have a negative effect on your skin’s natural microflora.
- Skin with acne gets scars easily so make sure this is handled properly so they are not permanent.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure due to scarring.
RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS FOR HOME (want a customized consultation? Fill out the free skin consultation form)