Skin pigmentation occurs due to irregularity in the melanin present in the skin.
This can be genetic or triggered by external and thus more controllable factors. Melanin is produced by melanocytes. The health of these melanocytes is important in almost all pigmentation problems.
Pigmentation can be divided into hypopigmentation (light/white spots) and hyperpigmentation (dark spots). The spots can be large (vitiligo, for example) or almost invisible. There are more than 70 different pigmentation disorders.
UV is a culprit as is a lack of Vitamin D. Vitamin D levels are dangerously low in much of the population because of all the sitting indoors. Sun exposure is important for your health and the health of your skin. It may sound contradictory but exposure to direct sunlight on your entire body for 15 minutes a few times a week is very healthy.
Medication, reaction to chemicals and hormonal changes can also cause pigmentation.
- Minimal and cautious sun exposure.
- Use UV protection in makeup and skin care products.
- Oral Vitamin D supplements if levels are low.
- Intake of essential fats – 15 grams of flaxseed oil per day or 400 mg of long chain omega 3 fatty acids (DHA and EPA).
- Use products rich in antioxidants.
- Use a supplement containing 4000 mg of Vitamin C daily.
- Look closely at your diet and see if you can eat more fiber, less sugar and fresh.
- Avoid ingredients that can react to sunlight in your makeup, skin and hair care.
RECOMMENDED SALON TREATMENT
The Holistic Bright Facial complemented by a Peeling (cure).
RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS FOR THE HOME
Esse Cream Mask
Esse Omega Moisturisers
Esse Repair Oil or MERME Facial Beauty Elixer
Esse Cream Cleanser or Esse Refining cleanser
MERME Facial Brightening Vitamin C Powder
Esse Ageless Serum
Esse Eye Contour Cream
Esse Sunscreen SPF
Chicory Smoothing Peel
SMPL UV protection
If your skin is not used to natural products or is very sensitive, we recommend first using Esse Sensitive for 4-8 weeks to allow your skin to get used to Esse’s high-quality ingredients.
Are you already following Skin District on Instagram? Here we give tips & tricks every day!